Proverbs 1:1 “The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel;”
1 Kings 3:9 “Give therefore thy servant an understanding heart to judge thy people, that I may discern between good and bad: for who is able to judge this thy so great a people?”
When God asked King Solomon what he desired, Solomon requested that he needed the wisdom of God. God was certainly pleased with his prayer, granting Solomon wisdom and more.
1 Kings 3:10-11 “And the speech pleased the Lord, that Solomon had asked this thing. ..”
A good start in seeking wisdom is by acknowledging that we need God and His Word to guide us. We must admit that we do not know everything, and that God does.
1 Kings 3:7 “And now, O LORD my God, thou hast made thy servant king instead of David my father: and I am but a little child: I know not how to go out or come in.”
I heard Charles Haddon Spurgeon once say, “The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is a knowledge of our own ignorance.”
As we live in the twenty-first century we can clearly see the vast changing world is growing more and more into ungodliness, and has a tremendous influence upon many of us. As Christians we definitely need God’s wisdom to know how to walk uprightly in all we do. We need God’s Wisdom in:
- Discernment (Between good and bad)
- Relationships (Marriage, etc)
- Parenting (How to raise children, etc)
- Finances (Saving, spending, etc)
- Character (Faithfulness, use of the tongue, etc)
- Friendships (Who to avoid, how to be friendly)
- Decisions (Regarding everyday life, etc)
How do we get Wisdom?
1. Fear the Lord – Proverbs 1:7
Psalm 111:10 “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom…”
2. Ask the Lord – James 1:5-8
1 Kings 3:13 “And I have also given thee that which thou hast not asked, both riches, and honour: so that there shall not be any among the kings like unto thee all thy days.”
1 Kings 4:32 “And he (Solomon) spake three thousand proverbs: and his songs were a thousand and five.”
3. Seek the Word of the Lord 2 Timothy 3:15 “And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.”
4. Obey the Lord – Matthew 7:24
Psalm 111:10 “…a good understanding have all they that do his commandment…”